Sunday, March 4, 2012

Arm Chair Caddy for Kim


Just finished this arm chair sewing caddy for my friend Kim.  These are so much fun to make and you really can just incorporate anything you desire.  Kim likes to knit, so I wanted to create a way for her to stash her knitting needles and not have to dig for them, also her scissors should be handy.  The little strap made from left over fabric cut from the pin cushion was the perfect answer, stitched down in three places.  I also like the little buttons on the side of the pin cushion, you thread a ponytail holder through your thread and link it to the buttons to keep your thread handy.

Here is a view of the caddy opened out on the table.  The pockets in this one are very generous as Kim requested they be big enough to store a pattern.  

The pin cushion is filled with "Kaytee" brand walnut pet bird litter.  Leave yourself some extra room if you choose this option, so you can stitch down your binding and have some room for your thread as well.  It makes for a nice weight in the pin cushion and is very clean and easy to work with.  You can get it at Petco and the cost was around $7.00 or so for 7 lbs of litter, plenty to make a gazillion pin cushions!

When she is all done sewing, she can just fold it in thirds and put it away in a cupboard or drawer for next time.  I thought it would be fun to echo the "bubble" design by using a circle of the fabric for the outside decoration.  I used a small mouth canning jar lid for my template, drew around it with a erasable marker and took a running stitch about 1/2 inch out from that line, cut out my circle and drew it closed around the canning lid, pressed, released a bit of the tension on the running stitch, just enough to ease it off the lid and pressed it again, top stitched in place and added some buttons for interest.

I'll be giving it to her this week!  I think she's going to love it.

If you want to make your own arm chair caddy...here is a great tutorial to get you started by Amy Friend at During Quite Time. Scrappy Arm Rest Pincushion

And if you want to see my other Arm Chair Caddy that I made for myself out of scraps, here is a link for that.

Have fun and if you make one, share your pictures with me, I'd love to see what you create!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment